• Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana has achieved the 5-crore mark.
• Through PMUY, initially, 5 crore BPL households were targeted for providing
deposit free LPG connections to BPL households by 31st March, 2019.
• In a record time of 28 months for its launch, PMUY achieved the initial target of
providing 5 crores LPG connection to BPL households.
* In 2018, considering the huge success of the Scheme, target was revised to 8
crores with budgetary allocation of Rs 12,800 crore.
• Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana aims to provide LPG (liquefied petroleum gas)
connections to poor households.
• Who is eligible? Under the scheme, an adult woman member of a below
poverty line family identified through the Socio-Economic Caste Census (SECC)
is given a deposit-free LPG connection with financial assistance of Rs 1,600 per
connection by the Centre.
• Identification of households: Eligible households will be identified in
consultation with state governments and Union territories.
• The scheme is being implemented by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural
• This is the first time in the history of the country that the Ministry of Petroleum
and Natural Gas implementing welfare scheme benefitting crores of women
belonging to the poorest households.
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) is the
government’s flagship programme to provide free cooking
gas (LPG) connections.
The PMUY scheme targets to reach out to provide free LPG
connections to 80 million families by 2020.
The central Government has decided to extend the
Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) to all poor
households in the country.
With the expansion of the PMUY scheme, all the poor
households can avail the benefit from PMUY and it will not
be mandatory to be part of the Socio-Economic Caste
Census (SECC) list or the seven identified categories under
the programme to be eligible for the scheme.
The successful implementation of the scheme will ensure
universal coverage of cooking gas in India, which will help
in women empowerment and also will protect their
health. The time spent on cooking and drudgery will
reduce. Additionally, it will also generate employment for
youth in the rural areas in the supply chain of LPG