Today we will be covering a very important topic from the Biology part of the General Knowledge section that is – List of Diseases caused by Virus, Bacteria, Protozoa and Worm. Around 2-3 questions from this topic are asked in every exam. Thus, this post is very helpful for the upcoming government exams.
Disease caused by Viruses:
- Chickenpox – It is caused by Varicella-zoster virus
- Small Pox – It is caused by the Variola virus
- Common Cold –It is caused by Rhinovirus
- AIDS (Acquired Immuno Deficiency Syndrome) – It is caused by Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)
- Measles –It is caused by the Measles virus
- Mumps –It is caused by Mumps virus
- Rabies – It is caused by the Rabies virus (Rhabdoviridae family)
- Dengue fever –It is caused by the Dengue virus
- Viral encephalitis – It is an inflammation of the brain. It is caused by the rabies virus, Herpes simplex, polio virus, measles virus, and JC virus
Disease caused by Bacteria:
- Whooping Cough – It is caused by a bacterium called Borde tella pertussis.
- Diphtheria – It is caused by Corynebacterium diphtheriae.
- Cholera – It is caused by Vibrio cholera
- Leprosy – It is caused by Mycobacterium leprae.
- Pneumonia- It is caused by Streptococcus pneumonia
- Tetanus – It is caused by Clostridium tetani
- Typhoid – It is caused by Salmonella typhi
- Tuberculosis – It is caused by Mycobacterium tuberculosis
- Plague – It is caused by Yersinia pestis
Disease Caused by Protozoans:
- Malaria It is spread by Anopheles mosquitoes. The Plasmodium parasite that causes malaria is neither a virus nor a bacteria
- Amoebic dysentery: It is caused by Entamoebahistolytica.
- Sleeping sickness: It is caused by Trypanosomabrucei.
- Kala-azar It is caused by Leishmaniadonovani.
Disease Caused by Worms
- Tapeworm: They are intestinal parasites. It cannot live on its own. It survives within the intestine of an animal including a human
- Filariasis: It is caused by a thread
- Pinworm: It is caused by a small, thin, white roundworm called Enterobiusvermicularis.