Every year, the World Intellectual Property Day is marked on April 26 to encourage creativity and innovation. The day was established by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) in 2000. This year, the World Intellectual Property Day is being marked under the theme.
Theme: Innovate for Green Future.
The day is marked to celebrate inventors and creators working towards green future. They work towards fossil fuel-based alternatives.
The world Intellectual Property Day was first proposed by the Chinese Delegation of WIPO. It was approved by the United Nations General Assembly in 1999.
World Intellectual Property Organization
The WIPO is one of the 15 United Nations Specialized agencies. It was created to protect and promote intellectual property. Around 26 intellectual treaties are administered by WIPO. The headquarters of WIPO is located in Geneva, Switzerland.
What are Specialized Agencies of United Nations?
The Specialized Agencies are autonomous organizations of the United Nations that were created on behalf of the organization. These specialized agencies are authorized to carry out functions on behalf of the United Nations. They include
- Food and Agriculture Organization, FAO
- International Civil Aviation Organization, ICAO
- International Labour Organization, ILO
- International Fund for Agricultural Development, IFAD
- International Maritime Organization, IMO
- International Telecommunication Union, ITU
- UNESCO World Bank World Health Organization,WHO
- World Meteorological Organization, WMO
- World Tourism Organization, UNWTO
- Universal Postal Union, UPU
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization, UNIDO
- World Intellectual Property Organization
- International Monetary Fund
What is Intellectual Property?
The Intellectual Property are creations that are related to artistic works, literary works, symbols, images and names used in commerce.